Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Great Adventure: The Story Begins

I have been pondering many days how to appropriately communicate to you our change.

I think I need to give you alittle background trip through the past three years and some little tidbits about how I am wired these days.

To start with: I LOVE EVERYTHING TRADITIONAL/OLD FASHIONED!  I have many people tell me, "You were born way past your time" and "You should be a farmer." and "Little House on the Prairie is calling your name."  I fully agree with everything that has been said :)  I love the old way of doing things....I don't know why...but I do.

I love the old days when the man would ask the father for his daughter's hand in marriage,  when you wash your clothes by hand (yes...I know its nuts but I have actually had a desire to do this even with four kiddos....nuts I know), make your own clothes, know who your neighbors were because you all had a front porch, when no one knew what a gummy bear was, when people spent more time together than on the computer and phone, when living together for the first time was the night after your marriage, when commitment actually meant "till death do us part", when all of our food and such were clean and free from processed chemicals.....all these beautiful things that get so lost and clouded in a culture of busyness and confusion. 

I love to make my own things with my hands.  About three years ago, I watched a video that talked about all the chemicals in our house and how much indoor pollution we live in.  It sent me search for new household cleaner recipes which I actually love.  With so many kiddos in the home, I was alittle fearful of them getting near the cleaners I had.  One of my favorite is listed below:

1 spray bottle
filtered water (enough to fill the bottle)
20 drops of essential lemon oil

I use this on everything and even my windows (no streaks either).  If you want to make it alittle stronger, you could add 1/4 cup of vinegar for alittle more disinfecting power. 

This is one tiny piece of the adventure to come..............

3 comments:

  1. How much vinegar is in the original recipe? I didn't see vinegar mentioned until you said the amount could be increased. Thanks for this!

    I'm thinking of making my own laundry detergent...basically to be more economical. You're essentially buying water that they put in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bethany, I think you are missing ingredients in your cleaner recipe. The one I use is 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 filtered water and 1/3 alcohol. You can add essential oil to it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey laura i have a great recipe for laundry detergent! It works and it is cheap to make! I used the cheese grater because i don't own a food processor and it worked fine!

    Use 1 tablespoon to 1/4 cup per load.

    Equipment:
    Food processor (you can use a cheese grater)
    Plastic tub bucket

    Ingredients:
    2 cups Borax
    2 cups washing soda
    1 cup baking soda
    1 bar soap (it doesn’t matter what kind you use)
    Essential oil (if the soap is scented, you may not want to add this)

    1. Cut the soap up into large chunks with a knife, or use the cheese grater and grate up the soap.
    2. Throw the chunks into the food processor and blend into a powder (or as close to a powder as possible).
    3. In a plastic bucket, stir together the Borax, washing soda, and baking soda.
    4. Stir in the grated soap.
    5. Stir in drops of essential oil if you like.

    ReplyDelete