Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The 60's Party

My mom and dad had their a Halloween/Fall party this year. The theme...the 60's! We originally we going to go as the Flinstones but it was way to cold to go walking around with no shoes and a sleeveless costumes so I resorted to a more creative costume. Since there are 6 of us we decided to go a the "Six" T's" to the Sixties party :) We had a fun time painting our faces and watching everyone try to figure out what we were. Good party Kone Family!!!


Below is a short little video of a couple of games the kiddos played. The doughnut on the string game is classic :)


As a Christian family, each year we are confronted with trying to figure out how to celebrate Halloween when we know its roots and with some of our convictions. My friend Kristi posted a great blog on this issue that I really appreciated.

http://runwatchplaywait.blogspot.com/2009/10/navigating-through-halloween.html

I also really liked and I identified the most with the Classic Housewife.

She said, For the past few years, we’ve put more effort into celebrating Autumn as a whole. God is sovereign over all seasons. He causes the trees and plants to die so that their seed may spread, hibernate over the winter and grow again in the spring. Not only is this symbolic of our lives in general (change is necessary, the “death” of some things is necessary for the life and growth of others) but this is also symbolic of the greatest sacrifice ever made. Jesus had to die (autumn), spend three days in the tomb (winter) in order to rise to life again (spring.) There are so many wonderful things to make, see, do, enjoy during this time of year. Many wonderful crafts to be made, activities to be done, places to go– devotionals ready at your fingertips.
The kids and I will bake cookies, do crafts, enjoy the great outdoors, and Halloween will come and go pretty much like another day. We’ll indulge in some candy, we’ll spend time with family. But we will not attend parties on that day, because for us, it’s not about Halloween itself. We all know that actions speak louder than words. Our actions and our words show what is in the heart. I want my actions and my words to show what I am celebrating, what I am truly worshiping. Not only on that day, but on every day. To that end, the Halloween “holiday” really has no true place there, you know?'

Here is more from the rest of her post:

http://www.classichousewife.com/holidays/2009/10/19/halloween-at-our-house/

Courtney posted this that I thought was helpful also.

http://womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com/2009/10/christian-view-on-halloween.html

I love how Courtney says, " So that's what we do - but like I said - I believe this is a matter of conscience so do not follow my lead here - follow your husband and the Holy Spirit. Pray and do what God lays on your heart this Halloween."

My main goal is to honor the God I love, I don't do it perfectly but it is what I want to strive for and I am trying to see where Halloween fits into this goal.

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts, thanks for sharing.

    Love the 6-Ts, ya'll are so creative and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog by back tracking the link!!! You have a beautiful page here!!! And adorable children!! Thanks for the linky love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post about Fall, weather and halloween. Love your thoughts! The 6-T's.... oh my goodness, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete